The world has witnessed the outbreak of another deadly and incurable disease named the CORONA VIRUS, which started in Wuhan, China and now more cases have also been confirmed in several countries in the Asia-Pacific region as well as Europe and North America.
According to WHO, there are 1,320 cases confirmed worldwide, 237 of them have been reported as severely ill. Forty-one deaths have been reported so far, all of which occurred in China.
The most concerning issue is that in many developing countries healthcare systems remain weak and inadequate to handle a mass outbreak of infectious diseases in our already vulnerable and impoverished populations.
The scientists and researchers all over the world
are still investigating to learn more about how this new virus has spread and the disease it is causing.
· This new disease belongs to the family of coronaviruses, got their name because of their appearance under a microscope, which is a round-shaped particle resembles a corona.
· The initial findings suggest an animal-to-person transmission and a limited person-to-person spread through air droplets. Spreads by infected person’s sneezing, cough. Person to person.
· Virus enters the body through the respiratory tract, infect trachea, bronchi, bronchioles, and lungs.
· Symptoms begin 2–7 days after the virus is acquired.
· It is a severe form of pneumonia.
· Respiratory, Heart and Liver can be failed.
· Only seven coronaviruses (including the new one) cause disease in humans.
· Runny nose
· Sore throat
· Night sweat and chills
· General feeling of discomfort
Considering the condition of the infected patients the symptoms are the same present with classical influenza-symptoms (including fever, cough, and some breathing-difficulties) and a mild to severe pulmonary illness such as pneumonia.
· wash hands frequently.
· wear gloves when dealing with patient’s fluids.
· wear surgical masks when in the same room with the patient.
· Elderly people with diabetic or hepatic are at high risk.
· Avoid travel to infected places.
· Avoid sharing utensils of the infected persons.
· Wash all the clothes and utensils of the infected person.
· Disinfect suspected surfaces.
TREATMENT OF CORONAVIRUS INFECTION
Experts emphasise that since a virus causes the illness, there aren’t any treatments available, and the infection can only be allowed to run its course.
You can treat a coronavirus infection the same way you treat a cold:
· Get plenty of rest.
· Drink fluids.
· Take over-the-counter medicine for a sore throat and fever.
· A humidifier or steamy shower can also help ease a sore and scratchy throat.
The important point to consider at this time is to put in place the preventive measures so as to arrest the spread of the virus which is emanating from China and is rapidly spreading to other countries around the world.
By following hygienic food and sanitary habits, avoiding crowded areas and drinking plenty of water, we can protect ourselves from Corona virus.